Economic Impact Payment

The CARES Act created a stimulus check for many Americans and the IRS is calling them "Economic Impact Payments." 

The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities recently reported that there are an estimated 16,000 North Dakotans who participate in SNAP and/or Medicaid benefits but who have not yet received their Economic Impact Payments made available via the CARES Act. You could receive up to $1,200 ($2,400 for a married couple) and $500 for each eligible dependent. 

  1. If you've already filed your taxes and need to check your payment status, click here
  2. If you're not required to file federal income tax returns for 2018 and 2019 for any of the reasons listed below, click here to enter your payment info:
  • Your income is less than $12,200
  • You're married filing jointly and together your income is less than $24,400
  • You have no income

Who is eligible to receive the Economic Impact Payment?

U.S. citizens or resident aliens who:

  • Have a valid Social Security Number,
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer, and
  • Have an adjusted gross income under:
    • $75,000 for individuals
    • $112,500 for individuals who file taxes as head of household
    • $150,000 for married couples filing joint tax returns.

Taxpayers will receive a reduced payment if their adjusted gross income is between:

  • $75,000 and $99,000 if their filing status was single or married filing separately
  • $112,500 and $136,500 for individuals who filed as head of household
  • $150,000 and $198,000 for married couples who filed jointly

The amount of the reduced payment will be based upon the taxpayer’s specific adjusted gross income.

Those who do not make enough money to file a tax return are also eligible. This includes people receiving Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), survivors benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), veterans benefits, or Railroad Retirement benefits.

Unfortunately, if one spouse does not have a Social Security Number, the other is not eligible for the Economic Impact Payment.

What is adjusted gross income?

Adjusted gross income is a number found on your tax return (Line 8b of the 1040 tax form). It is the money you receive (wages, child support, interest, etc.) minus some specific costs, like student loan interest or alimony.

Additional Resources

  • National CAP
  • National Community Action Foundation
  • Community Action Program Legal Services