Supportive Services for Veteran Families

As of May 1, 2015 the Community Action Partnership of North Dakota and the North Dakota Coalition for Homeless People, Inc. have partnered to administer the Supportive Services for Veteran Families Program. SSVF is a program funded by the Veterans Administration that works to provide Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-housing services to qualifying Veteran families. 

The SSVF program is provided across North Dakota to provide individualized case management to clients, assist in securing housing, work to effectively meet clients' needs and resolve individual barriers through follow-up, advocacy, and collaborations with community service providers. Veteran families may qualify for assistance with time-limited payments to third parties for rent, utilities, moving expenses, and licensed child care.


Outreach is one of the most important functions of SSVF. Simply put, we cannot end or prevent homelessness among Veterans unless we engage those Veterans where they are. Through our outreach, we want to ensure that every single homeless Veteran is engaged and provided options for permanent housing.

Case Management

Case Management services play a key role in the SSVF Program. As a short-term, rapid intervention, SSVF does not seek to provide all of the long term or wrap around services a household may need to retain their housing. Rather, Case Managers act as the linkage point to the community-based services that the Veterans need and desire in their efforts to maintaining housing. We aim to find that balance between providing services directly and providing a link to community-based and mainstream resources.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation or all or part of the individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)
If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866)632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202)690-7442 or email at .
Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800)877-8339; or (800)845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

  • National CAP
  • National Community Action Foundation
  • Community Action Program Legal Services