Sportsmen Against Hunger

Frequent Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What are the season dates for 2020-2021?

    Deer (More Hunting Information)

    Hunting for Youth (ages 11-15; restrictions): Sept. 18-27

    Bow Season: Aug. 4 to Jan. 3

    Gun Season: Nov. 6-22

    Elk (More Hunting Information)

    Bow Season (units E1E, E1W, E2, E6): Sept. 4-27

    Regular Season (units E3, E4): Sept. 4 to Dec. 31

    Regular Season (unit E5): Sept. 4 to Dec. 31

    Regular Season (units E1E, E2): Oct. 4 to Dec. 31

    Regular Season (unit E1W): Oct. 2 to Jan. 3

    Regular Season (unit E6): Oct. 2 to Nov. 5, Nov 23 to Dec. 31

    Moose (More Hunting Information)

    Bow Season (units M5, M6, M8, M9, M10, M11): Sept. 4-27

    Regular Season (units M5, M6, M8, M9, M10, M11): Oct. 9 to Nov. 1

  • Who do I call with questions?

    All program questions should be referred to Chandler, the SAH Program Coordinator.  She can be reached at 701-232-2452 or via email

  • How can venison be brought to a processor?

    Most processors accept field-dressed venison, some prefer to have hide off before being brought in. Please see processor list for specifics.

  • Where can I bring my wild game donation?

    Review the processor list for current Sportsmen Against Hunger processors.  Please call the processor directly and make arrangements. 

  • Does SAH accept donations of Waterfowl?

    No, SAH can no longer accept donations of Waterfowl. 

  • Do I need to bring anything with the venison?

    The carcass tag must accompany the deer to the processor. If you are required to remove the carcass before processing, you may fill out a venison form with the tag number instead.

  • Can I pay for the processing fee?

    Of course! Hunters are always welcome to cover the processing fee for their game, but if not, the Sportsmen Against Hunger program will cover it.

  • Is my donation of venison or other wild game tax deductible?

    Unfortunately, donations of venison and wild game are not tax deductible. However, if you make a donation to Sportsmen Against Hunger as a 501(c)3 organization, there is a possibility of receiving a deduction. Please contact our office for more information.

  • Can I bring my game meat donation directly to a food pantry?

    NO. Food pantries can't take meat that has not gone through a licensed processor.

  • Do I need to let the processor know?

    Our processor do appreciate a call ahead of time so they can give you any specific information on their facility, like business hours or processing specifications.

  • How will my wild game be processed?

    All wild game donations are ground into hamburger and distributed to food pantries across North Dakota.

  • National CAP
  • National Community Action Foundation
  • Community Action Program Legal Services