Supportive Services for Veteran Families

Frequent Questions

  1. How does SSVF define a Veteran?

    Veteran is defined as a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released there from under conditions other than dishonorable.

  2. Can I enroll in SSVF if I don’t have my DD-214?

    SSVF can accept several forms of Veteran identification, and may ask other Veteran service providers to verify Veteran status. SSVF case managers can help you request your DD-214.

  3. How long can someone stay in the program?

    The program is intended to be a brief intervention and connection to long-term support if needed. Case Management can continue an extended period of time until necessary supports for housing stability are in place.

  4. How can a Veteran or family member be referred?

    Call your local Community Action Agency or visit to find contact information for the SSVF representative in your region

  5. What can I do if I know of a Veteran that needs assistance?

    Encourage the Veteran or family member to contact their local Community Action Agency, listed at
    Contact the Community Action Agency directly with a referral
    Email with any questions or concerns

  6. How do I enroll in SSVF Services?

    SSVF serves every county in North Dakota through eight regional Community Action Agencies, listed below. Please contact the agency closest to you and speak with the SSVF Case Manager to enroll.

    Williston- (701) 572-8191
    Minot- (701) 839-7221
    Devils Lake- (701) 622-6500
    Grand Forks- (701) 746-5431
    Fargo- (701) 232-2452
    Jamestown- (701) 252-1821
    Bismarck- (701) 258-2240
    Dickinson- (701) 227-0131

  7. What is Homeless Veteran Coordinated Entry System?

    The Homeless Veteran Coordinated Entry System is a list of homeless veterans in your community. This list is populated through information from outreach, HMIS, shelters, VA-funded programs, and any other providers in your community who may work with veterans experiencing homelessness. The list is updated regularly in order to ensure it has the most up-to-date information on veterans in your community. The Homeless Veteran Coordinated Entry System is not a waiting list – veterans on this list may already be accessing programs, waiting for a housing unit, or may self-resolve their homelessness – it is a list meant to give the key partners involved in ending veteran homelessness in your community a solid understanding of the people (not just the numbers) that need to be re-housed at any given time. It is a very important tool in your efforts to end veteran homelessness. The list is used at regular veteran-focused coordination/case conferencing meetings to determine where veterans are in your homeless assistance system, who needs to be prioritized, and what needs to be done and what barriers needs to be removed to get them into housing, and who is responsible for each person.

Visit Our Network page for location information for each Community Action Agency in North Dakota.

If you are interested in referring a Veteran to the Supportive Services for Veteran Familes program, please complete the Referral Form and send to

If you are a homeless Veteran, or want to refer a homeless Veteran to the Homeless Veteran Coordinated Entry System, please complete the Homeless Veteran Coordinated Entry Release of Information.



Not finding what you're looking for?

If you have additional questions, please fill out the following information:

  • National CAP
  • National Community Action Foundation
  • Community Action Program Legal Services